Tuesday, March 20, 2012

To feel guilty or not

So here is yet another guilt-laden thought thing going through my head.  I'm constantly second-guessing myself.  I knew it was going to be a beautiful day today.  And according to my weather gadget on my sidebar, tomorrow is going to be another sunny, warm day as well.  I went out for therapy yesterday, my 1-hour with my therapist, then the 1/2-hour with the psychiatrist, and then stopped at the store to get a few things.  Atrus had an accident last night and where he hadn't had one in a L O N G time, when we put the bunk beds in, I didn't bother getting any mattress protection for that mattress and just kept what we had on Chance's.  Mistake.  That made for an awesome morning.  Awesomely bad, that is.  He had to get a shower before we let him do anything, and I took everything off the bed, Chance woke up with it, and that all took up so much time, that he had 4 minutes to get dressed and out the door to not miss the bus that it didn't happen and Daddy took him in.  Oh, it was a lovely morning for him.  So the store stop was to get the vinyl cover thing. And while I was there I got him a Lego creator kit.  Had intended to give it to him yesterday, but he came home happy and said he had a good day, so I held off.  I'll save it for another day.

Anyway, on to today.  I hate Mondays in that I can't go back to bed after getting Atrus off to school, which is something I usually do because I work until 1 to 2 a.m. so going back to bed allows me to actually finish my shift instead of falling asleep at my desk.   However, given that I go out on Monday mornings, that doesn't get to happen, so I'm dragging butt the rest of the day.  It was very nice out yesterday, though.  Today it was just as nice, and a wild hair struck my ass and I decided to go for a walk with the kiddo (camera came too, of course).  Here's the guilt and the questions therein.  I didn't walk at a particularly brisk pace.  I was comfortable, relatively speaking, but I didn't push myself to go too fast.  So it was a leisurely walk.  However, I know I don't get out nearly as often as I should.  So do I feel guilty for it not being a "real" exercise walk because I didn't push myself to go all that fast and raise my heart rate and all that, or do I just shove all that aside, say screw it and give myself kudos for just getting out there and being out there for 45 minutes, taking the time to do something I usually don't do, soaking up the sun, stopping for a few pictures.  Its not entirely flat terrain, and I don't believe the loop I used came out to a mile, but it was more than a half mile.  I stopped a couple of times to take a drink.  So yeah, leisurely time.  But I was OUTSIDE and I was moving.  Does that in itself count or should I continue with the self-berating because I didn't walk fast enough or sweat myself silly and push to be out of breath?  Really the argument could go either way.  For now, I was out.  I went to check the mail, I stopped over the dam, looked at the lake and then came home.  Sure, I broke a sweat, not hard to do given how out of shape I am.  I wasn't breathless when I came back, and I'm not sore, though I could use a shower.  

I might go again tomorrow.  The mail always needs to be checked, and I am expecting my new glasses to show up soon.

1 comment:

  1. No reason at all for guilt. You took a tired day and did *something*. You could've spent that time in bed. Sounds like a lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete